The Latest: Funeral held for aid worker killed in Yemen

SANAA, Yemen — The Latest on developments in Yemen (all times local):

5:15 p.m.

A Lebanese humanitarian worker from the International Committee of the Red Cross has been laid to rest in his hometown a week after being shot dead in Yemen.

Lahoud, 38, was in charge of the ICRC's detainees program in Yemen. He was shot on his way to visit a prison in the southwestern province of Taiz. An investigation is underway to determine who killed him.

ICRC official Dominik Stillhart called Hanna Lahoud "a beacon of humanity" during the funeral Saturday. Stillart said Lahoud gave his life helping the people of Yemen. Prayers were held in the St. Charbel Church north of Beirut.

Yemen has been embroiled in a civil war since March 2015, a conflict that has created the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

___

3:10 p.m.

Thousands of Yemenis have attended a funeral for a slain top Shiite rebel official in the capital, Sanaa.

The Houthis' Supreme Political Council chief and acting head of state Saleh al-Samad was killed along with six others in a Saudi-led coalition airstrike over a week ago in the coastal province of Hodeida.

Top Houthi officials including al-Samad's successor Mahdi al-Mashat, a former Houthi fighter, attended the funeral which was held in al-Sabeen square.

Houthi rebel leader Abdul-Malek al-Houthi vowed to avenge al-Samad's death.

The Saudi-led coalition has been at war with Iran-backed Houthis since March 2015 with the aim of defeating them and bringin an internationally recognized government back to power.

___

2:15 p.m.

Saudi Arabia's civil defense directorate says one person has been killed by "shrapnel" from a ballistic missile attack by Yemen's Shiite rebels known as Houthis.

The agency made the announcement on Twitter on Saturday without elaborating.

Saudi state television similarly reported a death in the attack.

In March, an Egyptian living in Saudi Arabia similarly was killed by missile debris in an attack on the capital, Riyadh.

___

1:40 p.m.

Yemen's Shiite rebels say they have fired eight ballistic missiles at targets in Saudi Arabia's southern city of Jizan.

The Saudi state-run news agency SPA says its air defense forces intercepted four of the missiles and no casualties or damages have occurred.

Meanwhile, the rebel-run Al-Masirah TV says Saturday's missiles hit their targets with "high accuracy."

Saudi state media reported earlier Saturday that the kingdom-led coalition fighting the rebels since March 2015 killed two Shiite rebel leaders and dozens of their militiamen.

The rebels, known as Houthis, have previously fired missiles targeting the Saudi mainland, including the capital, Riyadh.

Saudi Arabia backs Yemen's internationally recognized government and aims to defeat the Iran-backed Houthis to restore the government to power.

___

8:05 a.m.

Saudi state media is reporting an airstrike by a kingdom-led coalition in Yemen's capital has killed two Shiite rebel leaders and dozens of their militiamen.

Saudi state-run television offered the report early Saturday, saying more than 50 were killed. The Shiite rebels known as Houthis did not immediately acknowledge the strike.

Al-Arabiya, a Dubai-based satellite news network now believed to be majority-owned by Saudi Arabia, reported the strike Friday hit a high-level meeting of the Houthis.

Al-Arabiya said the strike hit a building belonging to Yemen's Interior Ministry. It said over 38 Houthi fighters including the two leaders were killed.

Al-Masirah, a Houthi-run satellite news channel, acknowledged Houthi leaders met Friday to discuss Saturday's funeral of Saleh al-Sammad, a Houthi political leader earlier killed in a Saudi airstrike.

Related News

Director Oliver Stone in Iran for movie festival

Apr 23, 2018

Iranian media say American director Oliver Stone is in Tehran to attend an international film...

Oliver Stone, visiting Iran, calls US a global...

Apr 25, 2018

Oliver Stone, making his first-ever visit to Iran, says the United States is a global "outlaw" that...

Japanese musician cancels Iran concert as band...

May 10, 2018

A Japanese new-age musician named Kitaro has reportedly cancelled a concert in Iran because his...

Ex-soccer star says Iran officials barred him...

Jun 23, 2018

The former captain of Spain's national soccer team, Carles Puyol, is claiming that Iranian TV...

Afghan rock band struggles to hit right note in...

Aug 17, 2018

Afghan rock band's struggle to hit right note in Iran shows challenges faced by immigrants

Rubble and ash in Mosul museum retaken from...

Mar 8, 2017

The antiquities museum in the Iraqi city of Mosul is in ruins

Search for something?

Sign up now!

In Hip N Trendy, we constantly discover and share the best products in the market to make sure that you know what’s new. It’s always FUN to talk with people who have the same interests as us, don’t you agree?

Contact us: sales[at]hipntrendy.com